Eddins, David, Ph.D., CCC-A
Dr. David A. Eddins is Professor in the Departments of Communication Sciences & Disorders and Chemical & Biomedical Engineering at the University of South Florida and is co-director (with Ann Clock Eddins) of the Auditory & Speech Sciences Laboratory and an Associate Director of the Global Center for Hearing and Speech Research. His laboratory discoveries include establishing the frequency independence of auditory temporal processing, pioneering a linear systems approach to establish the principles underlying auditory spectral pattern perception, and the development of novel methods for understanding the perception of dysphonic voice due to pathology or trauma. The work in Dr. Eddins’ labs at the University of South Florida focuses on identifying, understanding, and modeling normal and abnormal auditory perception; methods for ameliorating such deficits, including the use of hearing enhancement devices; the development of novel diagnostic tools; and the development of hardware and software solutions for hearing related pathologies. Research in the labs rely on behavioral, electro-acoustic, and electrophysiological methods to assess auditory perception in normal hearing and the deficits associated with hearing loss, brain injury, normal aging, tinnitus, hyperacusis, and co-morbid medical conditions. Trained as a classical psychoacoustician and a clinical audiologist, Dr. Eddins also is actively engaged in clinical trials involving diagnostic tools and hearing enhancement devices. His research has been funded by NIH, NSF, DoD, and corporate collaborators.
|A.B. (Speech & Hearing)||University of North Carolina||1986|
|M.S. (Audiology)||University of North Carolina||1988|
Clinical Fellowship in Audiology
|VAMC Long Beach, CA||1989|
|Ph.D. (Experimental Pyschology)||University of Florida||1993|
Post Doctoral Fellowship (Psychology)
|University of Florida||1994|
- SPA 6340 Hearing Aids I
- Laboratory Instruction
- Anand, S., Skowronski, M. D., Shrivastav, R., and Eddins, D.A. (In Press). “Perceptual and quantitative assessment of dysphonia across vowel categories.” Journal of Voice.
- Hoover, E.C., Eddins, A.C., & Eddins, D.A. (2018). "Distribution of spectral modulation transfer functions in a young, normal-hearing,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. Published Online: January 2018 Accepted: December 2017
- Kopf, L.M., Skowronski, M.D., Anand, S., Eddins, D.A., & Shrivastav, R. (2017). "The perception of breathiness in the voices of pediatric speakers,” Journal of Voice Available online 20 November 2017.
- Eddins, A.C., & Eddins, D.A. (2017). “Cortical Correlates of Binaural Temporal Processing Deficits in Older Adults,” Ear and Hearing, November 9, 2017 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print.
- Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, D.A., & Eddins, A.C. (2016). "Poor temporal acuity in older normal hearing listeners evident from electrophysiological response to shifts in interaural time difference." Journal of Neurophysiology. On-line 28 September 2016.
- Ozmeral, E.J.,Eddins, A.C., Frisina, D.R., Eddins, D.A. (2016). “Large cross-sectional study of presbycusis reveals rapid progressive decline in auditory temporal acuity,” Neurobiology of Aging.
- Eddins, D.A., Anand, S., Camacho, A., Shrivastav, R. (2016). “Modeling of Breathy Voice Quality Using Pitch Strength Estimates,” Journal of Voice (Online Jan 7, 2016).
- Eddins, D.A., Kopf, L.M., Shrivastav, R. (2015). “The psychophysics of roughness applied to dysphonic voice,”Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 138, 3820-3825.
- Kelly, M. R.; Amuso, V. J.; Eddins, D. A.; Borkholder, D. A. (2014) “The focal index as a singular metric for beamforming effectiveness,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 136 (5), 2654-64
- Eddins, D.A., and Shrivastav, R. (2013). “Psychometric Properties Associated with Perceived Vocal Roughness Using a Matching Task,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 134 294-300.
- Eddins, D.A., Arnold, M., Klein, A., Ellison, J. (2013). Individual variability in unadided and aided measurement of acceptable noise level,” Seminars in Hearing 34, 118-127.
- Sabin A.T., Clark C.A., Eddins D., Wright, B.A. (2013). “Different patterns of perceptual learning on spectral modulation detection between older hearing-impaired and younger normal-hearing adults,” Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 14, 283-294.
- Zecker S.G., Hoffman, H.J., Frisina, R., Dubno, J.R., Dhar, S., Wallhagen, M., Kraus, N., Griffith, J.W., Walton, J.P., Eddins, D.A., Newman, C., Victorson, D., Warrier, C.M., Wilson, R.H. (2013). “Audition assessment using the NIH Toolbox,” Neurology 12;80(11 Suppl 3):S45-8. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e3182872dd2.
- Sabin, A.,Eddins, D.A., Wright, B.A.. (2012). “Perceptual learning of auditory spectral modulation detection,” Experimental Brain Research 218, 567-577.
- Patel, S.A., Shrivastav, R., and Eddins, D.A. (2012). “Identifying a comparison for matching rough voice quality.” Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research 55, 1407-22.
- Newman, D.L., Fisher, L.M., Ohmen, J., Fong, C., Frisina, S.T., Mapes, F., Eddins, D.A., Frisina, D.R., Frisina, R.D., Friedman, R.A. (2012). "GRM7 variants 1 associated with age-related hearing loss based on auditory perception," Hearing Research.
- Liu, C.,and Eddins, D.A. (2012). “Measurement of stop consonant identification using adaptive tracking procedures,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 123, EL250 – EL256.
- Sabin, A., Eddins, D.A., Wright, B.A. (2012). "Perceptual learning evidence for tuning to spectro-temporal modulation in the human auditory system." J. Neurophys. 32, 6542-6549.
- Sabin, A., Eddins, D.A., Wright, B.A.. (2012). "Perceptual learning of auditory spectral modulation detection, Experimental Brain Research."
- Patel, S.A., Shrivastav, R., and Eddins, D.A. (2012). "Identifying a comparison for matching roughness." Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research.
- Shrivastav, R., Anand, S., Eddins, D.A. (2012)."Pitch Strength of Normal and Dysphonic Voices." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 32, 6542-6549.
- Patel, S.A., Shrivastav, R., and Eddins, D.A. (2012). "Developing a single reference signal for matching breathy voice quality," Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research 55, 639-647.
- Eddins, D.A., Liu, C. (2012). "Psychometric properties of the coordinate response measure corpus with various types of background interference," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 131, 177-183.
- Patel, S.A., Shrivastav, R., and Eddins, D.A. (2011). "Perceptual distances of breathy voice quality: A comparison of psychophysical methods," Journal of Voice 24(2), 168-177.
- Shrivastav, R., Camacho, A, Patel, S., Eddins, D.A. (2011). "A model for the prediction of breathiness in vowels," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 125 1605-1615.
- Allen, P. D., Eddins, D. A. (2010). “Presbycusis phenotypes form a heterogeneous continuum when ordered by degree and configuration of hearing loss,” Hearing Research 264, 10 – 20.
- Eddins, D.A., and Hall, J.W. (2010). “Binaural Processing and Auditory Asymmetries,” in Temporal resolution in listeners with hearing impairment,” in The Aging Auditory System: Perceptual Characterization and Neural Bases of Presbycusis edited by S. Gordon-Salant, R.D. Frisina, A.N. Popper, and R.R. Fay (Springer, New York).
- Saoji, A. A., Litvak, L., Spahr, A. J., and Eddins, D. A. (2009). “Spectral envelope perception and vowel and consonant identification in cochlear implant listeners,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of Amercia 126, 955-958.
- Hayes, D., and Eddins, D. A. (2008). “Premium Product Comparison: Does Philosophy Impact Perception?” The Hearing Review: Dec 2008.
- Liu, C., and Eddins, DA (2008). “Effects of Spectral Modulation Filtering on Vowel Identification,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 124, 1704-1715.
- Liu, C., and Eddins, DA (2008). “Categorical dependence of vowel detection in long-term speech-shaped noise:, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 123, 4539-4546.
- Qian, J., and Eddins, D. A. (2008). The role of spectral modulation cues in virtual sound localization,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 123, 302-314.
- Saoji, A. A., and Eddins, D. A. (2007). “Spectral modulation masking patterns reveal tuning to spectral envelope frequency,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 122, 1004-1013.
- Eddins, D. A., and Bero, E. M. (2007). “Spectral modulation detection as a function of modulation frequency, carrier bandwidth, and carrier frequency region,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 121 363-372.