School of Aging Studies Teams With Local Employers to Develop Students’ Interviewing Skills
The School of Aging Studies recently hosted its 9th annual Mock Interview Night at the University of South Florida. The event provides students in the Long-term Care Administration program a chance to practice their interviewing skills and receive professional feedback and advice. Nine administrators and executives from Florida long-term care companies participated.
Aging Studies’ Long-term Care Administration program was created to prepare students for careers in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. Many of these students soon will be interviewing in reality for internships and jobs, and during this event, they learned the valuable lessons of what company executives expect of a candidate.
Each student was given a 15-minute interview with three long-term care professionals, who then provided feedback on their performance. In addition, they watched as a panel of administrators interviewed a student who is currently an intern in a nursing home.
USF’s bachelor’s degree program in Long-term Care Administration was created in 1984 to meet the growing need for well-trained long-term care professionals. Since then, the population of older adults has continued to grow. More than 11 million Floridians are 60 and older. By 2040, that number is expected to grow to more than 13 million.
For more information about the Long-term Care Administration program, the School of Aging Studies or the mock interviews, please contact Kathryn Hyer at (813) 974-3232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to the following professionals for helping USF’s School of Aging Studies train future long-term care professionals.
- Erin Blakely, Regional Director of Operations, Greystone Healthcare Management
- Sarah Castro, Associate Administrator, Highlands Lake Center, Opis Senior Services Group
- Christopher Edelmann, The Health and Rehabilitation Centre at Dolphins View, Consulate Health Care
- Theresa Felicione, Senior Administrator, Tierra Pines Center, Opis Senior Services Group
- J David Fitts, Executive Director, Westchester Gardens Health and Rehabilitation, The Goodman Group
- Valerie Goode, Regional Director of Employee Relations, Consulate Health Care
- Laura Haraburda, Divisional Executive Director, Consulate Health Care
- Brian Sweetland, Administrator, Fairway Oaks Center, Opis Senior Services Group
- Matthew Thompson, the Manor and Villa at Carpenters