Eddins, David, Ph.D., CCC-A
Dr. David A. Eddins is Professor in the Departments of Communication Sciences & Disorders and Chemical & Biomedical Engineering at the University of South Florida and is co-director (with Ann Clock Eddins) of the Auditory & Speech Sciences Laboratory and an Associate Director of the Global Center for Hearing and Speech Research. His laboratory discoveries include establishing the frequency independence of auditory temporal processing, pioneering a linear systems approach to establish the principles underlying auditory spectral pattern perception, and the development of novel methods for understanding the perception of dysphonic voice due to pathology or trauma. The work in Dr. Eddins’ labs at the University of South Florida focuses on identifying, understanding, and modeling normal and abnormal auditory perception; methods for ameliorating such deficits, including the use of hearing enhancement devices; the development of novel diagnostic tools; and the development of hardware and software solutions for hearing related pathologies. Research in the labs rely on behavioral, electro-acoustic, and electrophysiological methods to assess auditory perception in normal hearing and the deficits associated with hearing loss, brain injury, normal aging, tinnitus, hyperacusis, and co-morbid medical conditions. Trained as a classical psychoacoustician and a clinical audiologist, Dr. Eddins also is actively engaged in clinical trials involving diagnostic tools and hearing enhancement devices. His research has been funded by NIH, NSF, DoD, and corporate collaborators.
|A.B. (Speech & Hearing)||University of North Carolina||1986|
|M.S. (Audiology)||University of North Carolina||1988|
Clinical Fellowship in Audiology
|VAMC Long Beach, CA||1989|
|Ph.D. (Experimental Pyschology)||University of Florida||1993|
Post Doctoral Fellowship (Psychology)
|University of Florida||1994|
- SPA 6340 Hearing Aids I
- Eddins, D.A., Anand, S., Lang, A., Shrivastav, R. (In Review). “Developing Clinically Relevant Scales of Breathy and Rough Voice Quality.”
- Eddins, D.A., Anand, S., Seldine, M., Ozmeral, E.J., Shrivastav, R. (In Review). “Behavioral and computational estimates of pitch height and pitch strength in synthetic and natural sounds.”
- Isarangura, S., Eddins, A.C., Palandrani, K.N., Stavropoulos, T., Seitz, A., Hoover, E.C., Gallun, F.J., Eddins, D.A. (In Review) “Methods for expressing spectral modulation depth and the effects of modulator shape on spectral modulation detection thresholds.”
- Ozmeral, E.J., Hoover, E.C, Gabbidon, P., Eddins, D.A. (In Review). Development of the Continuous Number Identification Test (CNIT): Feasibility of dynamic assessment of speech Intelligibility.
- Hoover, E.C., Bell, K.L., Behrens, T., Eddins, D.A. (In Review). “Blinded comparison of premium hearing aids and personal sound amplification products.”
- Isarangura, S., Palandrani, K.N., Stavropoulos, T., Seitz, A., Hoover, E.C., Gallun, F.J., Eddins, D.A. (2019) “Methods for expressing spectral modulation depth and the effects of modulator shape on spectral modulation detection thresholds,” Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, 36, 050003; https://doi.org/10.1121/2.0001032.
- Anand, S.A., Kopf, L.M., Shrivastav, R., Eddins, D.A. (2019). “Using Pitch Height and Pitch Strength to Characterize Type 1, 2, and 3 Voice Signals,” Journal of Voice, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2019.08.006.
- Isarangura, S., Eddins, A.C., Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, D.A. (2019). “The effects of duration and level on spectral modulation perception.” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, In Press.
- Hoover, E.C., Kenney, B.N., Bell, K.L., Gallun, F. J., Eddins, D.A. (2019). “A comparison of behavioral methods for indexing the auditory processing of temporal fine structure cues,” Journal of Speech-Language-Hearing Research, Jun 19;62(6):2018-2034. doi: 10.1044/2019_JSLHR-H-18-0217.
- Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, A.C., Eddins, D.A. (2019). “Electrophysiological responses to lateral shifts are not consistent with opponent-channel processing of interaural level differences,” Journal of Neurophysiology, 122(2):737-748. doi: 10.1152/jn.00090.2019.
- Kemp, A., Eddins, D.A., Shrivastav, R., Hampton-Wray, A. (2019). “Neural processes underlying semantics as correlates of listening effort: An event-related potentials study.” Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research 62, 367-386.
- Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, A.C., Eddins, D.A. (2018). How do age and hearing loss impact spectral envelope perception? Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. doi:10.1044/2018_JSLHR-H-18-0056.
- Anand, S., Kopf, L.M., Shrivastav, R., Eddins, D.A. (2018). “Objective indices of perceived vocal strain,” Journal of Voice. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.06.005.
- Anand, S., Skowronski, M. D., Shrivastav, R., and Eddins, D.A. (2018). “Perceptual and quantitative assessment of dysphonia across vowel categories,” Journal of Voice, 33(4), 473-481.
- Eddins, A.C., Eddins DA. (2018) Cortical Correlates of Binaural Temporal Processing Deficits in Older Adults. Ear & Hearing, 39(3):594-604. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0000000000000518. Epub 2017 Nov 9: PMID: 29135686.
- Eddins, A.C., Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, D.A. (2018) How aging impacts the encoding of binaural cues and the perception of auditory space. Hearing Research, 369:79-89. doi.org/10.1016/j.heares.2018.05.001. NIHMS 965979.
- Hoover, E.C., Eddins, A.C., Eddins, D.A. (2018). Distribution of spectral modulation transfer functions in a young, normal-hearing population. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 143(1):306. doi: 10.1121/1.5020787: PMID: 29390785.
- Kopf, L.M., Skowronski, M.D., Anand, S., Eddins, D.A., & Shrivastav, R. (2017). "The perception of breathiness in the voices of pediatric speakers,” Journal of Voice, 33(2), 204-213.
- Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, D.A., & Eddins, A.C. (2016). "Reduced temporal processing in older, normal-hearing listeners evident from electrophysiological responses to shifts in interaural time difference." Journal of Neurophysiology, 116(6): 2720–2729; doi: 10.1152/jn.00560.2016; PMCID: PMC5133308; PMID: 27683889.
- Ozmeral, E.J., Eddins, A.C., Frisina, D.R., Eddins, D.A. (2016). “Large cross-sectional study of presbycusis reveals rapid progressive decline in auditory temporal acuity,” Neurobiology of Aging 43, 72-78, 30(6):774.e1-774.e7.
- Eddins, D.A., Anand, S., Camacho, A., Shrivastav, R. (2016). “Modeling of Breathy Voice Quality Using Pitch Strength Estimates,” Journal of Voice, 30(6): 774.e1–774.e7; 10.1016/j.jvoice.2015.11.016; PMID: 26775221.