Lutfi, Robert, Ph.D.
Dr. Robert Lutfi is Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of South Florida, formally Professor of Audiology at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. His research focuses on human auditory perception. He is particularly interested in how one's ability to detect and recognize complex sounds in noise is affected by both lawful and random variation in sound, as occurs in nature. He has published on a wide range of topics on human auditory perception, including humanauditory frequency analysis, human auditory pattern analysis, computational models of auditory masking, the perception of auditory motion, sound source identification, the auditory abilities of children and the problem of listening in noise for the hard-of-hearing. His research programs have been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation, the Deafness Research Foundation, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, the Office of Naval Research, the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, and the National Institute for Child Health and Human Development. He is a fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, a member of the Nation’s Intelligence Science and Technology Experts Group, Natl. Acad. Sci., and a former member of the Laboratory Assessments Board, Natl. Acad. Sci.
|B.A. (Psychology & Mathematics)||University of South Florida||1975|
|M.A. (Experimental Psychology)||University of South Florida||1977|
|Ph.D. (Experimental Psychology)||Loyola University of Chicago||1980|
|Post Doctoral Fellowship (Psychoacoustics)||Cambridge University, England||1980|
|Post Doctoral Fellowship (Psychoacoustics)||Northwestern University||1983|
- SPA 3030 Introduction to Hearing Science
- SPA 4901 Reseach, Clinical, and Professional Issues in Communication Sciences & Disorders
- Lutfi, R.A., Tan, A. and Lee, J. (2017). Individual differences in cocktail-party listening: The relative role of decision weights and internal noise, J. Acoust. Soc Am., abstract in press.
- Chang A.C., Lutfi, R.A., Lee, J. and Heo, I. (2016). A detection-theoretic analysis of auditory streaming and its relation to auditory masking, Trends in Hearing, 20, 1-9.
- Chang A.C., Lutfi, R.A., Lee, J. (2015). “Auditory streaming of tones of uncertain frequency, level and duration”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 138, 504-508.
- Gilbertson, L. and Lutfi, R.A. (2015). “Estimates of decision weights and internal noise for the masked discrimination of vowels by young and elderly adults”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 137, EL403-407. PMCID: PMC4441709.
- Gilbertson, L. and Lutfi, R.A. (2014). “Correlations of decision weights and cognitive function for the masked discrimination of vowels by young and old adults,” Hearing Research, 317, 9-14.
- Lutfi, R.A., Gilbertson, L. Chang, A-C, and Stamas, J. (2013). The information divergence hypothesis of informational masking, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134 , 2160-2170.
- Lutfi, R.A., Liu, C.J. and Stoelinga, C.N.J. (2013). A new approach to sound source identification. Basic Aspects of Hearing: Physiology and Perception Series: Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, Vol.787. Moore, B.C.J.; Patterson, R.D.; Winter, I.M.; Carrlyon, R.P.; Gockel, H.E. (Eds). (Springer: New York).
- Lutfi, R.A., Chang, A-C, Stamas, J., and Gilbertson, L. (2012). “A detection-theoretic framework for modeling informational masking,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 132, EL109. PMCID: PMC3407140
- Lutfi, R.A. and Liu, C.J. (2011). A method for evaluating the relation between sound source segregation and masking. J. Acoust. Soc. Am 129, EL34-38. PMCID: PMC21302979
- Lutfi, R.A. and Liu, C.J. (2011b). Target enhancement and noise cancellation in the identification of a rudimentary sound source in noise. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, EL52-56. PMCID: PMC21361412.
- Lutfi, R.A. and Stoelinga, C.N.J. (2010). Sensory constraints on the identification of the geometric and material properties of struck bars J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127, 350-360. PMCID: PMC2821150.
- Lutfi, R.A. and Liu, C.J., Stoelinga, C.N.J. (2008). Level dominance in sound source identification. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 3784-3792. PMCID: PMC2737249.
- Lutfi, R. A. (1993). A model of auditory pattern analysis based on component-relative-entropy. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 94, 748-758.